Ask the Heating and Cooling Expert – Francis MacIntyre – New Expert in this Category

 

Hello, this month’s question is about the health and safety of your family.

Are you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning? I’m sure we all know that this is one of the risks associated with any gas style heating. First things first, we need to ask you, our client, a few questions.

1.What is Carbon Monoxide and how do I detect it?

Carbon Monoxide is a colourless and odorless gas that is caused by the incomplete burning of a combustible, like natural gas in a furnace. We recommend everyone install a carbon monoxide detector, which can be purchased from your local hardware store.

2) How old is your home?

A furnace will deteriorate over time and the heat exchanger can develop cracks, in older furnaces there is no safety to protect your family from carbon monoxide leaks. New furnaces have an induced draft motor, so when your furnace is running it creates a negative pressure in the heat exchanger that will pull air into it if the heat exchanger is cracked; this will help keep the carbon monoxide in the exhaust of the furnace.

3) When was the last time you had your furnace maintained?

Having one of our Service Experts perform a regular annual maintenance on your heating system can detect problems before they become too dangerous. For example, one of our recent clients had our service expert perform a regular maintenance on their furnace and water tank, where he found that the home had well over 3 times the allowable level of carbon monoxide. At this level the clients were starting to feel the effects, fortunately we were able to fix the situation immediately and now our clients are safe and warm.

Call our office today at 403-358-3730 to book your annual maintenance on your heating system, to make sure your furnace is safe and efficient for you and your family!