Ask the Yoga Expert – Kelda Anderson
Top 5 Reasons that Men Should be Doing Yoga
We are seeing more and more men in our classes, but they still remain the minority and seem to be nervous about joining a class. If they only knew how much it could benefit them, maybe we’d see more of them.
- Focus. The world is getting busier and busier and it’s not just women that are forced to multitask. Because we are forced to do so many things, think about so many things all at once we sometimes lose our ability to focus. Yoga helps to restore that focus.
- Increases Energy. We all know about and use the excuse “I’m too tired” or “I have no energy” not to do something, the great thing about yoga is that it re-energizes you. You feel awake, alive and rejuvenated. After an hour of yoga, you’ll feel less tempted to sink into your couch to watch the game and be more inclined to actually participate in one.
- Flushes the System. Whether you work out with weights or do more cardio type exercises you’ll end up being a little bit sore a day or two afterward. Yoga, stretches, twists and compresses the muscles helping to flush out toxins and lactic acid out of the body. Decreasing work out related muscle soreness, but it can also increase your immune system, keeping you healthy and happy.
- Yoga is for Every Body. Unlike some sports where you need a certain body type in order to do well, yoga accepts everyone. It’s about balance, not about what you look like. This can be a bit difficult to deal with if you have a naturally competitive nature, but yoga teaches you to let go of judgement and criticism.
- Yoga is good for your love life. By increasing blood flow to certain areas and flushing toxins out of the body, increasing energy and focus you won’t just become better at your sport. You’ll be less stressed at home, be able to focus better in the bedroom and with enough heart openers, you’ll be able to connect with your partner a whole lot better.
So now that you know just a few benefits yoga can do for you, it’s time to let go of your fear and jump right in! Hope to see you on the mat soon.